Both Android and iOS versions have been updated -- and overhauled! Enjoy the new interface and the major under-the-hood stability and performance enhancements!
In addition to the core code being updated, I've added a section on qplots (from the ggplot2 package) and additional content to the base plot section. In the next update, I will include additional material on the ggplot2 package.
Additions to base plots section:
1. Add a grid
2. Add and modify arrows
- change arrow head shape
- change arrow head length
- change arrow color
- change arrow line width
- change arrow line type
- change arrow head angle
3. New qplot section (requires ggplot2):
How to make qplots:
- Density histogram
- Frequency polygon
- Line chart
- Path plot
- Scatter plot
- Conditional smoother
4. Modifications described for each of the qplots:
- add color, either specific color or according to a third variable
- add title or change title font size
- add facets
- adjust line widths and point sizes
- ... and a few other modifications specific to particular qplots.
I am very excited (and relieved) to announce that Chandy Calope will be joining the R Instructor team! Chandy will be handling some of the video editing, programming and administrative duties.
Here's a sneak peak of a video on classification and regression trees that Chandy recently finished editing. Among other features and content, we'll be working hard on developing more videos for the next update.
Please join me in welcoming Chandy!
Thank you for your continued support!
The latest update of R Instructor has been released. The new content is listed below. Enjoy.
Jobs board, News and Blogs
- Changes to R v3.0.
- Transpose function
- Reshape function, wide to long datasets
- Reshape function, long to wide datasets
- Discriminant function analysis
- Redundancy analysis
- Box plot, line style alterations
- Box plot, line width alterations
- Box plot, plot labels
- Box plot, axis labels
- Box plot, horizontal and vertical orientations
- Box plot, estimate significance of the median
- Box plot, whisker length
- Box plot, box width (proportional to sample size and relatively to other box plots)
- Box plot, remove outliers
- Box plot, outlier style
- Box plot, outlier size
- Box plot, add a box plot to another plot
- Box plot, fill color of a box plot's outline
- Box plot, fill color of a box plot
- Bar plot, beside vs stacked
- Bar plot, add bar shading
- Bar plot, change the shading angle
- Bar plot, set bar width
- Bar plot, set bar spacing
- Bar plot, add group names
- Bar plot, add labels or titles
- Bar plot, add a legend
- Bar plot, outline color of a bar plot
- Bar plot, fill color of a bar plot
- Histogram, add shading
- Histogram, add bar labels (counts of observations)
- Histogram, specify break points
- Histogram, specify end points (left or right)
- Histogram, add axis and plot titles
- Histogram, outline color of a histogram
- Histogram, fill color of a histogram
- Line Chart, line width
- Line Chart, line style
- Line Chart, line color
- Scatter plot, point outline width (re-done)
- Scatter plot, change point shape (re-done)
- Scatter plot, alter point size (re-done)
- Add or alter text, alignment
- Add or alter text, change color
- Add or alter text, font
- Add or alter text, size
- Add or alter text, rotation
- Add or alter text, style
Consolidated content and improved:
- "Add, alter lines or points"
- "Add Color to..."
A brand new feature has been added to R Instructor -- a forum! Use the forum to reach out to other R Instructor users... get help with your R code, say hello, or help others!
Loads of new features and updates still to come!
Thanks for all the support,
Thanks to a 3 AM coding frenzy and the magic that is RStudio and cloud-servers, R Instructor now allows you to run RStudio from your Android phones or tablets and the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch!!!
Please note, R Instructor does not allow you to run RStudio on your device natively... but through a server running an instance of RStudio. There are some limitations to using RStudio on a mobile device, send me an email if you'd like to find out more information.
Many more features to come!
The latest update takes advantage of the larger iPhone 5 screen, makes a number of bug fixes, improves icon appearance, reduces the application size and, most importantly, lays the foundation for a number of new features I plan on unveiling in 2013.
An occasionally occurring glitch/bug on the iOS version (all Apple products) of R Instructor exists. You know you've got the "bug" if after downloading R Instructor from iTunes much of content appears absent and the videos don't work. The solution: Tap the refresh button in the top left corner of the application. If you're not sure if you have got the "bug" or not -- hit the refresh button anyways, it can't hurt!
We have figured out the source of the problem but we need a little time to fix it. An update should be coming out soon.
Good news for those using Android -- the R Instructor team has just finished building an entirely new version of R Instructor. This free update completely overhauls the design of the app and, most importantly, includes the 30 or so videos that are already included with the iTunes version. We're really excited about this release... but give us a few more days to sort out the kinks.
On to the buzz kill. The new version will not include the search feature or the job search. Give me time, these additional features will be coming out in a subsequent version.
EDIT: December 6, 2012 (at too late an hour)
The latest and best version of R Instructor for Android is out!!! Enjoy!
Times are tough and work is scarce!! To try and help, I've added an international job search feature to the iTunes version of R Instructor. Right now, there are job opportunities in Australia, Canada, Philippines, UK, USA and Vietnam in fields of social science, forestry, insurance, finance, genomics, aquatic biology, statistics, banking, data analysis, biotech, pharmaceuticals, academia, and well... the fields are diverse!. Good luck with the job hunt!!
Oh, as always -- R Instructor will continue to develop. Expect more jobs in more countries, soon.
That's right -- it's here! Download R Instructor for your Android device today! Enjoy.
...Stay tuned for more and exciting products, or better yet -- sign up for our mailing list.
Please note, videos are not currently available in the Android version of R Instructor. This is temporary and related to unsatisfactory video clarity -- I want them looking just as crystal clear as they do in the iOS version of R Instructor. The videos will be made available in a free update soon.